Friday, September 10, 2010

Ft Lauderdale - we have arrived!

Marty and I arrived at the airport extra early to avoid the worst of the 8:00 Houston traffic. We got checked in and through security quickly and headed to Bubba's Bayou Grill for a leisurely breakfast. It has a very limited menu but it's a hot breakfast in a quiet, sit-down restaurant directly across from the frantic pace of the food court which makes for good people-watching.

Here are couple of photos of Marty and me around the Houston airport. Look quick, there is actually a picture of me! I'm not often in pictures since I'm usually behind the camera:
 .


I love a Starbucks Mocha Frappacino but rarely indulge. But, hey, I'm on vacation! Marty couldn't help but stop to browse the labels when we were passing by a closed wine and food bar.

We arrived at what we thought was our gate around 9:00, half an hour before Mom and Dad's flight was expected to arrive and an hour and 45 minutes before our flight was scheduled to depart. We were so early the previous flight was still listed. After we'd been sitting there for about 10 minutes (the previous flight was just leaving so we were alone at the gate) one of the gate agents asked if we were going to McAllen (TX). Um, no, we're going to Ft Lauderdale. She says, "Oh, that gate has changed to E-23." Huh? She asked if we needed a cart and I was like, nah, we can handle it. About halfway to the new gate I was regretting that decision!

Mom and Dad's flight arrived on time (actually a few minutes early) at IAH and I wasn't too worried about our gate change because I knew the gate agents at their arriving gate would know where they should go.

I was surprised to see Mom and Dad arrive to our gate by foot. Well, Mom by foot, Dad being pushed in his wheelchair by an airport employee. They had walked all the way from Terminal B. That is a LONG walk! I asked Mom why they didn't take a cart and she said the cart at their arrival gate was waiting on someone to go to the bathroom and she didn't want to wait and, of course, she didn't realize how far the walk was going to be. The lady kept asking her along the way if she was okay and she said she was but she should NOT have walked that far. Her impatience gets the best of her sometimes.

Marty spotted them approaching the gate first and went running and waving his arms in the air at them. I think it startled the lady pushing dad's wheelchair as she probably thought he was some crazy person. Mom assured her it was just their whacky son-in-law so the lady turned over the wheelchair pushing duties to Marty:

Arriving at the gate for our flight to Ft Lauderdale

Our flight was delayed about 20 minutes because one of the flight attendants was delayed getting to the gate. Everyone applauded as she came running on high heels toward the gate. She seemed properly embarrassed. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming her previous flight was late which would be bad planning on the airline's part. But who knows, maybe she just overslept. LOL!

It sure is nice being able to pre-board and get all settled before the masses start boarding! We had a nice flight. They serviced turkey sandwiches with carrot sticks and a small Kit Kat bar. Even with our delayed departure we arrived at FLL a few minutes ahead of schedule.

We allowed everyone off the plane before us as it's slow going getting us all off so by the time we made a rest stop on the way to baggage claim, our suitcases were the only ones left when we got down to the carousel. That's kind of nice! We gathered them all up and then I called the hotel for our free shuttle and was informed Julio would be there in 15 minutes. And he was! He is a very nice man and was most helpful. We ran into him several times later in the hotel. I think he's planning on coming in early on Saturday so he can drive us to the port. The first shuttle leaves at 10:30 and he heard us tell the hotel clerk we wanted to take that one. He wasn't scheduled to come in until 11:30 but last time I saw him he said he would see us in the lobby at 10:00 Saturday morning.

We were checked in at the hotel by 3:00. Mom and Dad were pretty wiped out so we got them settled in their room for some rest. Marty and I went out and explored the area a bit. Ended up at the Outback and it was "No Worries Hours" (like what we call Happy Hour in TX). So we sat at the bar for a bit and visited with the bartender about the area. Turned out she was a True Blood fan (I had on my Fangtasia shirt) so we talked a lot about that. LOL!

Marty ran into Mom in the lobby around 5:15. She couldn't figure out how to use the phone in her room so was at the front desk. Marty brought her back up to our room (we're on different floors). She had taken a bath and felt refreshed. We agreed to meet them in their room in half an hour and then go to dinner.

We couldn't get our TV to work and I had called down to the front desk earlier. I called again and was told we could change rooms. Marty can NOT be in a hotel room with no TV! So we did that before meeting with Mom and Dad. It was 6:00 by the time we got to Outback and we had a lovely meal. We got a Blooming Onion for an appetizer. Another first for Mom and Dad. They liked! Dad got ribs and chicken, Marty and Mom both got the filet/shrimp scampi combo and I got the teriyaki medallions. All was excellent.

It was nearly 7:30 when we got back to the hotel. We were all pretty wiped out. We got Mom and Dad settled in their room and as soon as we got back to ours, I did a little unpacking, took a shower and went to bed. I think it was about 8:15 when I crawled under the covers (which was 7:15 body time). I think Marty stayed up and watch the Saints/Vikings game. I slept pretty good but woke up at 2:00 and never went back to sleep. I finally got out of bed about 3:30 and quietly tried to get my netbook set up but woke Marty up. I had it set up in the old room but was too tired when we got back to the room last night to set it up. Wish I had now. Marty was downstairs for the continental breakfast at 6:05 (they start serving at 6:00). He is now out exploring more of the area. There is a Publix across the way and we need to pick up a few things before the cruise.

Mom just called so she's figured out how to use the phone! YAY! They are awake and starting to stir. I'm not really sure what the plan is for today. We've ruled out the all day water taxi plan as it is way too hot and humid for Mom and Dad to be out in. I think we'll do the early birthday lunch for Marty at Chart House and then play it by ear. Marty and I may do the water taxi after lunch if that's what he wants to do. After all, it is his birthday (which he's been reminding us at every opportunity since we all got together yesterday morning - LOL!)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great start to your vacation! Love seeing the picture of your sweet mom and dad. Can't wait to follow along on your fun journey!
    Susie and Aaron

    ReplyDelete